Thursday, October 22, 2009

Curb Appeal

So in our never ending pursuit of torturing ourselves with home maintenence and repair we have been engaged in some recent work on the outside of our home. Our azaleas were feeling very sad in the full sun of the front yard and I have been wanting some height variation. So with the awesome strength of my husband we removed all but one azalea and relocated them to the backyard. Of course this left a rather empty space in the front. We filled it back in with some new holly bushes and a couple of everygreens. The nursery reassured me that these plants will in fact reach a height of 5-6 feet for the short holly and close to 15 feet on the everygreens. I suppose the only problem is that this will take quite a while. In the meantime we moved around a few others things and severly cut back and staked our butterfly bush. I hoping to see great things in the spring, at least than I can plant some annuals to make up the difference until we get some height from the new plants.
Our second project was to replace our old wood windows. They were in desperate need of reglazing and we had been considering replacing them. I think the window sales people talked us into it a bit sooner than originally planned with great fears of rotted wood. I guess the good and bad news is that some of the wood on the upstairs sills had rotted and was able to be replaced and now we have these beautiful new windows in place of the old ones. I am just super anxious now to finish painting the rest of my interior trim to match. That will have to wait until winter break.

It was a pretty quick job. It is amazing how quickly pros can get a job done. Samuel kept calling them the knock knocks because of the noise they were making with hammering on the new window trim. Now we just need to add more rock and mulch to the front. I guess the work is never really done.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: